Thursday, January 16, 2014

Goals are Goals!



We all have goals some big some small. I guess this is my first lesson in figuring out who I am through this journey. Goals are set for us to strive for something. No matter how big or small they are important to us. In achieving goals, there are bumps in the road. You can either let that bump get in your way of your goal or you can figure out what you “can” do to work towards your goal while still dealing with the bump. 

This is where I am finding myself now. I have a goal to finish an iron distance triathlon in September. I have a bump in the road (hip pain) that I have to deal with. The bump is consuming me, stressing me, making me think this goal is not attainable. After speaking with a good friend this morning she helped me realize this is just a goal. Yes it is a big goal that I have committed to but I need to let the goal go for now and figure out how I can get myself in a good place and stronger to eventually achieve what I originally had set out to do. Many of you that know me well, know I stress. I stress about myself, my friends problems, family, work, etc. It’s who I am. I care about people and always have. It’s a good thing and a curse. Well stressing about my hip and this race that is 8 months away has been a curse. 

My first step in self-discovery is to learn to relax, what is that saying “don’t sweat the small stuff.” This is easier said than done. I am committing to myself and my friend to work on this. Yes, I have a goal but things happen that I can’t change. I injured my hip so I can be angry about it yes, but I need to focus on what I can do and still work towards the goal. Trying not to focus on the negative has been hard because it has been injuries on and off for over two months. I need to let the big picture sit on the back burner, it will be there and I will get there. I need to focus on taking care of me. Sleep, eat well and let go of some stress. This is going to be difficult but I am committed to bettering myself to reach my goal. I have to remember I have a strong support team both friends and professionals that want me to succeed who believe in me. Now I have to believe in myself. Believing in my self is a hard thing to do but I am committing to doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment