Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Each training mile and race mile will be dedicated to finding a cure for Wolfram syndrome. Please Help!

I know there are a lot of causes out there to donate money to. But after thinking about my training and my race I wanted to do it for something or someone. So if you can please donate it doesn't matter what every penny helps. And if you can't that is okay too please just keep me and my nephew in mind. Thanks...

On September 7, 2014, I will participate in my first iron-distance triathlon in Sandusky Ohio. I've never dreamed of doing such a race and i began to think about how I could make a difference by taking on this challenge. Through all the hard work and long hours, I wanted to have something or someone in mind for motivation. I decided to raise money for the Jack and J.T. Snow Scientific Research Foundation to help find a cure for Wolfram Syndrome. My young nephew Ian Campbell is afflicted with this rare disease and my goal is to help researchers find a cure.... and fast. 
Ian doing his best Goofy impression (Disney Trip 2012)

Many of you have probably never heard of the syndrome. Wolfram Syndrome also known as DIDMOAD (Diabetes Insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus, Optic Atrophy, and Deafness), is extremely rare genetic disease that presents itself as juvenile diabetes early in life. It results in the degradation of the nerve cells in the eyes, ears and brain causing vision loss, hearing loss, diabetes insipid us and other neurological disorders. In 60% of the cases death can occur before the patients 30th birthday. Today there is no cure for Wolfram Syndrome.

I chose this particular foundation because all of the money goes to finding a cure for Wolfram by supporting research at Washington University's School of Medicine (WUSM) and elsewhere. The work being done at WUSM has the potential to unlock the mysteries of all types of diabetes. Also, WUSM and St. Louis Children's Hospital host and annual research clinic where parents are brought together for a mulitday, intensive medical evaluation with Wolfram Syndrome experts in the field. While the clinic's primary purpose is to gather data to aid researches, patients also benefit greatly. For most people, the doctors they see at home have never treated another WS patient, so being able to meet with experts is invaluable. My nephew currently participates in these multiday events. The Jack and J.T. Snow Scientific Research Foundation helps to make these clinics possible by assisting patients get to St. Louis for treatment.

In 2005, at age 5, Ian was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, and at age 10 was diagnosed with Wolfram Syndrome. He is now 13. In addition to juvenile diabetes, he currently suffers from vision loss, color blindness, as well as high frequency hearing loss and diabetes insipudus. Ian's family is extremely thankful for the work that researchers are doing for this very rare disease, but they know that this work cannot continue without awareness of the disease and funding to support the research. Imagine your child being diagnosed with a disease so rare that only a few researchers are working on it. That is why it's so important to me to help support this organization.

So please support me in helping raise funds for continued research. Everyone of the 140.6 miles I complete on September 7th will be with my nephew in mind and other children who suffer from rare diseases. It will be what gets me through the training and race day.

To donate please go to the website: http://thesnowfoundation.org/events/rev3-triathlon-team-ian/. When you click on the donate button, Paypal will give you the option to add a note. Please put 140.6 for Ian Campbell" in the box. The event is listed on the events page and will have more of a write up in the coming weeks.
Thanks so much in advance for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment