Friday, July 4, 2014

And I will ride 100 miles and I will ride 100 more

Well well well... I have neglected my blog again. There is just so little time. Ugh! So two weeks ago I completed my very first 100 mile ride. I rode the Long Trail Century Ride to support Adaptive Ski and Sporting Equipment for people with disabilities. It was an amazing day. Couldn't ask for better weather. Well after it warmed up.

So I got to VT Friday night and stayed at my friends house. It was a lot of fun but damn that girl goes to bed early. I guess it was good for me. Lights out 10 p.m. WHAT??? hahaha! Saturday we woke up and it was 44 degrees. Ummmmm... It is June 21st are you serious. So I was all out of sorts because I didn't have a long sleeve shirt. Oh well. We get to the venue and we get ready to ride.

The first 10 miles I froze my ass off. Holy crap it was cold. I really thought I was going to die. Shivering. Well that changed quick. After 10 miles we had a nice gradual long climb. Yep working up a sweat. After the climb we had some great down hill and flat. But one section of the race happened to be the best part and the friggin worst part of the race.  The dreaded NORTH ST.

So due to a bridge being out the course was re-routed. So here we are riding along me, my friend, and her husband when we come to the new section of the course. So we see a truck at the corner and a guy standing outside of the truck. He asks need a lift to the top. Ummmm... what! Ya a sag wagon to take you to the top of the climb. Holy Shit.. I think I literally pooped my pants. We are only at mile 30 and already had some good climbing. So we of course decline the sag wagon because we are Ironmen in training, well two of us anyway. Another couple comes around the corner and the woman says "oh you are going to love this, I have never gone up it but gone down it. It is on my bucket list so I guess today is the day." Ahhhh... ok she was an older woman. My friend Jane. She was hilarious. So the three of us Jane and her husband and a few others start the climb. OMFG!!! I swear to god there was a section of the climb I thought I was going to fall backwards off my bike. It was one of those climbs where you stop pedaling it is so hard and feel like you are going to fall over. So Jane starts swearing. Picture it a 60+ woman, me and my friend all swearing. I have never heard so many cyclists swearing. It was very comical.

So we get to what I think is the top and time to celebrate. Well Jane put that to an end when she said we have like 6-7 more miles of climbing to do on this one road.. OMG! I wanted to cry. I am at mile 31 now and still climbing and I have 70 frigging more miles to go. Oh yes the course is long too because of the detour. Pissa!! So here is where my mental toughness has to kick in. Because I could see it starting to fail. A good friend of mine T.D. once told me when you are on the bike during the race don't think of it as 112 miles think of it as 5-10 miles at a time and it worked. Got me through the race actually. So that advice was my saving grace from mile 36 on. So I guess that is how you break it down on race day as well.

The roads in VT were ridiculous too. Pot holes galore!
So all in all it was a good day. Great beer at the end with fun band. It was a great day! Oh and when in the world do you ever see a Zebra! Yep there was a Zebra on the course at a farm. So freaking cool... The scenery was pretty nice as well. Oh Saturday night... we were rebels stayed up until 10:15. Lights out 10:15!! hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment